Wednesday 20 May 2015

STWW: Body Acne (and how to get rid of it!)

Here's a little story about something I've had for years and years that I was always so shy about: Bacne. It's not a "pretty" topic but it is common and human and natural so I thought why not share my story if it helps someone out.

I had fairly bad breakouts on my back for many years which I hated. As I got older, the frequency of these breakouts reduced (not by very much) but the scarring was still prominent. I was always so shy about wearing tank tops or strapless tops and wouldn't unless I wore my hair down to hide my back.

Around six years ago I made a decision that I wouldn't let something on my body affect me so negatively and started not caring about my scars and bacne - writing it out sounds silly, like I'm making it a bigger deal than it is but, back then, it was a huge deal to me. After appreciating my body for the wonderful things it does for me, rather than hating something small like scarring, I decided to take action on my breakouts. I visited a doctor who prescribed an acne cream for me. I did this for a few weeks and, while it worked, the second I stopped, my back would break out again. It was also incredibly drying on my skin and the chemicals would bleach my clothes. I spoke to a friend who had done research on this and she recommended something that's so easy and that I use everyday and swear by.

Head and Shoulders. That's it. Or any dandruff shampoo, really. I use it in place of a body wash - it's enough to combat my acne without drying my skin and I've used it for a few years now and love it. I break out much less frequently and my scars are gradually fading (though this isn't because of the shampoo). I also don't use a moisturizer on my back as I don't want the oils and chemicals to irritate my skin. This is the most effective thing I've used without drying my skin or bleaching my clothes.

Is body breakouts an issue for you? Write any products/ways to reduce body breakouts (and if you use Head and Shoulders) in the comments below or tweet me @SundayWardrobe!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...