Tuesday 11 November 2014

5 Things I've Learned About Life



 In 4 days, I'll be turning 22. 22! I realize it's still very young but I feel as though 22 means I'm an adult and no longer under the forgiving umbrella of age. That's deep.

I decided for this week I'd throw out my scheduled beauty related posts for something about me and related to what I've learnt in my 22 years. So without further ado:

1. There will always be someone better than you. While this is a depressing thought, it's certainly humbling. There will always be someone smarter, prettier, taller, richer, etc than you. But that's okay - do the best you can do given your means and circumstances. While life makes others prettier or taller or smarter than you, you can work harder than anyone else, you can be nicer than anyone else. Just do what you can to be who you want to be and the rest will fall into place. Which brings me to my next lesson...

2. Don't worry about the things you can't control. There really isn't any point in wishing you could change the things you can't. What has to happen will happen and while you can (and should) try your best, there will always be things you can't do anything about. No amount of guilt will change the past and no amount of worrying will change the future.

3. It's okay to be sad. This has been a common theme lately but I can't stress it enough. I've had hours and days and months of being sad - it comes randomly, in waves and it can't always be explained. A close friend of mine died in a tragic accident over a year ago and I was sad every night for months. But sometimes I'll get sad just because it's dark outside! Sometimes I'm just in a funk and that's okay. As long as you realize how blessed and loved you, it's okay to not always be happy all the time.

4. Life goes on. Whatever you're going through may seem like the end of the world at the time but it never is. Breakups, failed tests, lost friendships - they're all a part of life. Look around you, life goes on. The drama I cried over in high school seems so trivial now. Had I realized when I was younger that everything will always be okay in the end (it really and truly will), I would have been a much happier teen!


5. Be humble, be grateful, be kind. Be humble to know that everything you have is a result of someone's (or your) hard work and isn't something you deserve just because. Be grateful for everyday you spend in good health and with loved ones. Be kind to everyone around you and strive to be the bigger person at all times. Being kind (and still strong) will always be the right decision.

If you have any tips or life lessons, please let me know below! Let's all help each other out for a happier, kinder world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...